Monday 10 December 2007

ALBUM OF THE WEEK

Credit: No Joy (Fatcrack Recordings, 2007)

Raised by wolves at the foot of Mount Olympus, Brit-rapper Credit has certainly paid his dues. For the last 35 years Credit has been pushing back the boundaries of UK hip-hop to little acclaim. No Joy finds him in despondent mood stating on Wolf Boy “No-one human ever looked out for me, even when I was a little baby”.

Enlisting the help of producer Trevor Horn may have given No Joy underground respectability but its gritty sound does little to lift the bleak mood. Ultimately, as Credit raps on Minger: “My mother always wanted me to be a singer, I didn’t think I’d be broke, fat and married to a minger”. Harsh words from a harsh life. (Stewart)

2 comments:

Gylfi said...

Credit has kept it real since day one. Fenrir must be mighty proud of his heir but those over sized shelltoes must be a bone of contention.
Brup!

G N O M E said...

Too true!

It's an obvious linegae... but to suggest a link between dub-step and the 'Canvey' scene? That's a bridge too far in my book!

Nice try kidder! x